Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Here Comes Baby – Part 1: Preparations

The week before I had Bennett I spent a lot of time worrying. My sister, Angela, was planning to fly out on August 31st which was Bennett’s due date. When I first told her when she should come I thought Bennett was going to be early and I didn’t worry about her arrival date. However, as the time approached for Bennett to come, I became more and more stressed that Bennett would be a late arrival. Since Angela works and has 3 kids of her own at home she could not change her arrival date so I began talking to my doctor about inducting labor. They told me it would be possible if my body was ready. They would check me on my last appointment and we would make a decision at that point. So the waiting began.

The first of the week before the baby came was spent trying to keep busy and distracted. Tyson took about ½ of the week off from work so we did a lot of family things. We both tried to spend as much time as we could with Lilly. After all, it wouldn’t be the three of us for much longer. I worked on cleaning up the house and getting it ready for guest. I was hoping that the hard work would make the baby come, it didn’t. Here we are playing with Lilly's Play-doh.


 


I had my doctor’s appointment on Wednesday. The doctor checked me and I wasn’t really ready to have the baby. However, she said I could still schedule the induction. She thought it would work because it wasn’t my first baby. I was hoping to schedule the induction for Monday since Angela would be here but since it was Labor Day the hospital wouldn’t allow it. They gave me the option to schedule on Friday the 30th or Tuesday, September 3rd.  I didn’t have anyone to watch Lilly on the 30th but if I did it on this date I would have the doctor that I liked (in Iowa you get the doctor that is on call to deliver your baby – not the doctor of your choice). If I picked the 3rd to be induced then I wouldn’t be home for very long with that baby while Angela was here. So, I went ahead and picked the 30th.
I personally did not want to be induced. I think that babies should stay in as long they want unless there are medical issues (or tax reasons). If there weren’t time issues I would have waited. I spent the rest of Wednesday and Thursday getting everything ready and hoping the baby would come on his own. Tyson spent the time buying Lilly a fish tank and fish – either he was in denial about the baby or thought Lilly needed something super special for what was coming.

 
We now have 5 florescent colored fish that Lilly loves. She also loves her submarine. She cried when we put it in the tank. Tyson and her feed the fish each morning and night. She doesn't forget. When she see's things on TV she likes, she tells me she wants it to put in her fish tank. Luckily, none of the fish have died yet.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh so much fun preparing for a new arrival. I'm so glad Bennett made it here safely and the two of you are doing fine! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she thinks the things she likes go in the fish tank. Better watch that brother close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Angela's comment, it is funny!

    Cute Lilly. It's nice to look back at all that worry and see how things worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught her to say that the fish were "genetically engineered". Because those are not naturally colored fish! She just looked at me like I was crazy, but I did get her to say "enticly geneered" a few times! I also tried to get her to spell Mississippi. She was so cute, "SPPI".

    ReplyDelete