Tuesday, April 29, 2014

St. George

On Saturday morning we were driven to the airport by Grandpa Richard and Grandma Gloria. We flew from Phoenix to Las Vegas in a very short 1 and a half hour flight. I wanted Bennett to sleep the whole flight so I didn’t feed him or let him sleep until we got in the plane. This caused Bennett to be a very grumpy baby. He was fussing by the time we got on the plane and people were starting to give us worried looks. Luckily, he ate and fell asleep before we even took off and slept the whole time.


When we landed in Vegas we were picked up by Grandma Kathy. We were all very excited to see Grandma Kathy and were very grateful she came all the way from St. George to pick us up. We decided we would stop at the strip while we were in Vegas. Because it was a Saturday and it just started to get warm the strip was packed. It was smelly and not as fun as I last remembered it so we left quickly. We did watch a short 3D movie at M&M World. It was the first 3D Lilly has ever watched so that was pretty funny seeing her react. It was loud though which made Bennett cry.
We took a small detour to Trader Joe's and the M&M Factory (not the one on the strip). The chocolate factory was closed during the weekends so we didn’t get to see them making the chocolate. Then it was off to St. George.



One of our highlights of St. George was stopping at the Valley of Fire on our drive there. Tyson was really excited to show Lilly the red rocks and to do some hiking with her. It was really cute seeing them explore together. We climbed up the long staircase to see the Indian petroglyphs, took a hike to a hidden lake, and took a lot of pictures. I hiked with Bennett in a carrier and it ended up being a good workout for me.


















After church on Sunday we headed to the sand dunes at Snow Canyon. I hadn’t been to the sand dunes since I was 8 years old so I was excited but Tyson was even more excited. You would have thought Tyson was the 3 year old in the family with the enthusiasm he brought into making a sand castle. Lilly was more excited trying to find and dig up buried treasure and planting sticks to look like trees. Bennett, Grandma Kathy and I spent our time relaxing and enjoying the warm weather.  










Monday was St. Patrick’s Day and Grandma made us a green St. Patrick’s day breakfast. Once everyone was dressed in green we headed to the Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm. When I was at Dixie State College I volunteered at the Dinosaur Discovery Site (before there was a museum) and helped dig up some of the dinosaur bones. I was really excited to show it to Lilly. She was most interested in the cartoon dinosaur movie and sandbox with fake bones in it.  






Then off we went to go swimming. We went swimming at the Washington City Pool. It was an inside pool but the heater was not on very high. Tyson immediately went into the pool with Lilly and dunked her under the water bucket. She was not having it. She didn’t want to do the slides or any of the other fun things at the pool after that. Since she is so small she gets cold really easy and I think we only lasted 45 minutes before we had to leave. To make matters even worse Tyson forgot to bring towels with him. Tyson is not invited swimming again. 


We had a lot of fun with Grandma Kathy. It was fun for both Tyson and I to be in St. George with the kids since both of us have lived down there during some time of our lives. The weather was warm and it was sad to leave the warm to go to the cold of Northern Utah.
Thank you Kathy for letting us stay with you, for driving us around, making us yummy food and for being such a great grandma. We all miss you already!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures, looks like lots of fun was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    Love the blog! It brings back a lot of fond memories. It was so much fun having you guys here, usually everyone heads for Northern Utah to visit all the family, so it was fun having you all to myself! I loved it!
    Can't wait to see you all again in July. Love ya tons.

    ReplyDelete